Heritage Group Meeting of February 19, 2015
Heritage Group members welcomed to their February meeting Deans Louise Gordon of Heath Sciences and Community Services and Don MacDonald of Transportation, Aviation, and Manufacturing. Their State-of-the-College update touched on the following areas:
- A quick review of public relations and budget challenges in the wake of RRC’s recent and ongoing fairly negative press followed by a question and answer session.
- An update on the planned 100,000 square-foot Skilled Trades and Technology Centre (STTC) at the east end of the existing Building B. With construction slated to begin this summer, the STTC building will contain updated and expanded labs that are needed to support demand from skilled-trades programs. The prominence of the STTC site next to King Edward Street creates the opportunity to showcase skilled trades programs with large windows facing King Edward and Notre Dame Avenue that reveal activities within the building.
- Highlights of two new programs, Ultrasound & Echocardiography and Advanced Care Paramedicine, the latter with modified online curriculum from Holland College.
- A Senior Academic Committee update that included plans for potential administrative restructuring and a new academic plan that is being spearheaded by Christine Crowe, Vice President, Academic & Research.
- A report on some of the high-profile and exciting applied research that is being conducted in Health Sciences & Community Services and Construction & Engineering Technology, two Schools that have funded Research Chairs. Especially notable were the Science of Early Child Development (scienceofecd.com) and the training and research activities of the Technology Access Centre (blogs.rrc.ca/tac). In addition, RRC is preparing to submit a number of proposals for Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council funding.
- A mention of active competitions for President, VP Finance, and Dean of Indigenous Education and Community Relations.