HERITAGE GROUP MEETING
DATE: Thursday, April 19, 2018
TIME: 10 a.m.
PLACE: Boardroom A137
ATTENDANCE: Leslie Walsh, Chair, Mary Hayes, Secretary, Don Carlson, John Reimers, Rose Marie Hess, Lorie Siebrand, Dorothy Derksen, Karen Wall, Mary McIntosh, Nancy Wheatley, Bob Vinet, Sherry Ripak, Ron Blicq, Brenda Lesiuk, Gina Fidel, Dianna Muller, Elena Grinshteyn.
- Meeting attendees enjoyed coffee and socializing at 9:30.
- Dorothy Derksen introduced guest speakers: Walter Kroeker, Journalist, Zach Gross, Fair Trade Outreach Coordinator with Manitoba for International Cooperation, and Bob Hiebert of Olive Branch and 10,000 Villages.
WELCOME AND CALL TO ORDER
April meeting was chaired by Gail Shimonek, Acting Chair, who called the meeting to order at 11:30 after a short coffee break.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA (Ron Blicq, Sherry Ripak).
ADOPTION OF MINUTES (Dorothy Derksen, Karen Wall)
- The new Heritage Group brochure for pending retirees was available. The brochure will be included with the retirement packages. Leslie Walsh, Karen Wall, and Guy Dugas have done a very professional job and the information will encourage new retirees to STAY CONNECTED AFTER RETIREMENT. Leslie Walsh and Elena Grinshteyn will attend retirement sessions. Gord McBean will show some pictures of events. Gail Shimonek thanked the brochure committee on behalf of the group.
- Speaker List for 2018-19 was discussed. Members are encouraged to suggest topics and speakers. Karen Wall attended a session on medically assisted dying (possible topic). John Reimers suggested a wine-tasting event.
- Financial Report (Elena) The Endowed Fund stands at $11,630.12. The non Endowed fund, after eight student award donations of $1000, stands at $3,278.06.
- Agenda Item for Fall. Many international students have been applying for the Heritage Group Awards. Their eligibility for the awards will be discussed.
- Social Committee. Karen Wall had a good report of the March outing. Options for the May 17 outing were discussed. Ideas for the 2019 Wind-up are the Mint, the Railway Museum, and the Police Museum. A tour of the new building at the College is to take place on May 3.
- Acting-Chair Gail Shimonek will be away from January to March. Leslie is willing to be Chair for another year. Dorothy Derksen moved that things stand as they are. Seconded by Deanna Muller. CARRIED.
- A big thank you to Guy Dugas who is editor extraordinaire of our Newsletter and our Blog. Guy updates the Blog daily and needs members to pass on information.
ADJOURNMENT: Sherry Ripak
DO YOU HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS?
IF YOU WISH TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS DISTRIBUTION
OR TO UPDATE YOUR ADDRESS
Please Contact Laura Sinclair at 204-632-3031 or email@example.com