HERITAGE GROUP MEETING
DATE: Thursday, March 21, 2019
TIME: 10 a.m.
PLACE: Boardroom A137
ATTENDANCE: Leslie Walsh, Chair, Mary Hayes, Secretary, Don Carlson, Bob Vinet, Glenn Baldwin, Rose Marie Hess, Lorie Siebrand, Sherry Ripak, Dorothy Derksen, Karen Wall, Rose-Marie Floch, Deanna Muller, Elaine Primeau, Gordon McBean, Allison Cowell, Linda Robeson, Don Kennedy, Nancy Wheatley, Steven Franklin, Pat Fraser, Gail Shimonek, Tim Farrell, Pat McDonnell, John Bell, Dan Moroz, Gord Mackie, Steven Lipischak, Arnold Kolaski, Howard Engel, Laura Sinclair.
Meeting attendees enjoyed coffee and socializing at 9:30.
Guest Speaker was Riva Harrison, Executive Director, Strategy and Communications, RRC. Riva, a College alumna, talked about exciting developments at the College.
WELCOME AND CALL TO ORDER
Chair called the meeting to order at 11:35 after a short coffee break.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA (Allison Cowell, Pat McDonnell).
ADOPTION OF MINUTES (Pat McDonnell, Gail Shimonek).
- Paul Samyn, Winnipeg Free Press editor, who spoke to the group in January, would not release his Power
Point presentation; however, Leslie took notes.
- Marcy Markusa is not fee to speak. Barb Gluck will speak at the April meeting about the Gimli Glider.
- Glenn Baldwin is arranging for speaker for February 20 next year.
- Howard Engel suggested speakers. Leslie will prepare a list. Some suggestions were: Chris Rukowski on UFO’s, Dr. Pip on Lake Winnipeg. Linda Robeson suggested that members tell the group about an encounter with a famous person.
- Elaine Primeau spoke on behalf of the Manitoba Association of Retired Government Employees (MARGE). The Annual General Meeting is to be held on Wednesday, April 17 at the Manitoba Masonic Centre, 420 Corydon Avenue at 1 p.m. sharp. Jeff Bennett, Vice President of Johnson Insurance (western) and Jessica Simpson, Consultant, Retiree Plans, will be making presentations.
Social Committee (Karen Wall)
- The February event (Trivia afternoon) was cancelled due to small enrolment and bad weather. The lunch outing will move back to March.
- Members will be asked to complete a questionnaire in September. The Social Committee is trying to ascertain members’ interests in order to make arrangements accordingly.
- Our Wind-Up this year will be held on Thursday, May 16 at the Mennonite Heritage Museum in Steinbach, a guided tour and lunch. Cost for both is $30, tour only is $10. Tickets can be purchased from Karen Wall at the April meeting or at the Museum so long as members have RSVP’d by Thursday May 2. The Museum requires two weeks’ notice. Cash or cheques only. Two wheelchairs and a walker have been reserved as the tour is two hours long. Howard Engel suggested car pooling, which can be discussed at the next meeting.
- Dudley Hill had a minor heart attack but is now home and doing well.
- Gord McBean is working on photographic archives for RRC. They will eventually be on line.
- Stephen Franklin met a College grad who said that her time at RRC was the best experience of her life. As Stephen said, the College does great things.
- Prairie Lights hosts a pop-up restaurant from time to time. Members planned to go there after the meeting.
- The April meeting will include elections.
ADJOURNMENT: (Dorothy Derksen)
DO YOU HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS?
Please contact Laura Sinclair to receive this package by email:
at 204-632-3031 or email@example.com
Please remember to check out our blog at rrc-hg.ca
IF YOU WISH TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS DISTRIBUTION
OR TO UPDATE YOUR ADDRESS
Please Contact Laura Sinclair at 204-632-3031 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Categories: All, Meeting Minutes
Leave a Reply